Auspiciousness to those who hear - thus the Shanti.
- Om Lam I bow to Ganapati.
- You clearly are the tattva. You alone are the Creator. You alone are the Maintainer. You
alone are the Destroyer. Of all this you certainly are Brahma. You plainly are the
- Always I speak amrita. The truth I speak.
- Protect me. Protect the speakers. Protect the hearers. Protect the givers. Protect the
holders. Protect the disciple that repeats. Protect that in the East. Protect that in the
South. Protect that in the West. Protect that in the North. Protect that above. Protect
that below. Everywhere protect! Protect me everywhere!
- You are speech. You are consciousness. You are Bliss. You are Brahma. You are
Being-Consciousness-Bliss. You are the Non-Dual. You are plainly Brahma. You are
knowledge. You are Intelligence.
- You create all this world. You maintain all this world. All this world is seen in you.
You are Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Aether. You are beyond the four measures of speech. You
are beyond the three Gunas. You are beyond the three bodies. You are beyond the three
times. You are always situated in the Muladhara. You are the Being of the three Shaktis.
You are always meditated on by Yogins. You are Brahma, You are Vishnu, You are Rudra, You
are Agni, You are Vayu, You are the Sun, You are the Moon, You are Brahma,
- 'Ga' the first syllable, after that the first letter, beyond that 'm', then the
half-moon all together. Joined with 'Om', this is the mantra form.
- Letter Ga the first form, letter a the middle form, m the last form. Bindu the higher
form, Nada the joining together, Samhita the junction. This is the vidya of Lord Ganesha.
- Ganaka is the seer, Nricad-Gayatri the metre, Sri Mahaganapati the god. "Om
- Let us think of the one-toothed, let us meditate on the crooked trunk, may that tusk
- One tusk, for arms, carrying noose and goad, with His hands dispelling fear and granting
boons, with a mouse as His banner.
- Red, with a big belly, with ears like winnowing baskets, wearing red, with limbs smeared
with red scent, truly worshipped with red flowers.
- To the devoted a merciful Deva, the Maker of the World, the Prime Cause, who at the
beginning of creation was greater than nature and man.
- He who always meditates thus is a yogin above yogins.
- Hail to the Lord of Vows, hail to Ganapati, hail to the First Lord, hail unto you, to
the Big-bellied, One-Tusked, Obstacle-Destroyer, the Son of Shiva, to the Boon-Giver,
- He who studies this Atharva Shira moves towards Brahma. He is always blissful. He is not
bound by any obstacles. He is liberated from the five greater and the five lesser sins.
Evening meditation destroys the unmeritorious actions of the night. At both evening and
morning he is liberated from the bad and he attains Dharma-Artha-Kama and Moksha.
- This Artharva Shira should not be given to those not pupils. If from delusion a person
so gives, he is a bad person.
- He who wants something may accomplish it by 1000 recitations of this. He who sprinkles
Ganapati with this becomes eloquent. He who recites this on a 4th day becomes a knower of
Vidya. This an Artharva saying "He who moves towards Brahma Vidya is never
afraid." He who worships with fried grains becomes famous and becomes intelligent. He
who worships with sweet-meat (modaka) gains the desired fruit. He who worships with samit
and ghee by him all is attained, all is gained by him. He who makes eight Brahmanas
understand this becomes like the sun's rays. In a solar eclipse, in a great river, or in
front of an image having recited (this) he gets accomplished in the mantra. He becomes
liberated from great obstacles. He is freed from great misfortunes.
© Lokanath Maharaj 1982-1985
Back to Ganesha Home Page